Saturday, December 12, 2009

Morning Mercies

On the morning the temperatures dropped to usher in Ohio's first blast of Arctic air, I stopped at the gas station on my way to work. I like first-thing treks to the gas station. I enjoy rubbing shoulders with people intent on fulfilling their purposes while the air is crisp and the day still untouched.

On this morning, however, the snow was blowing, and the wind had an knife edge as I stepped inside the brightly lit convenience store for a 64-ounce of my morning cup--Diet Coke, my drink of choice. The clerk was singing out loud with the radio. I didn't recognize the song, but his serenade welcomed me.

"I'm hoping it snows four feet," he said cheerfully as I paid for the Diet Coke. "Snow boarding." His smile warmed.

I put on my sunglasses as I went back to my car, wondering if it would help someone else if I sang aloud. I doubted that, but the mercy of an enthusiastic clerk on a cold winter morning is no small thing. His smile I would pass along.

Because of the Lord's great compassions we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness~Lamentations 3:22-23

No comments: